Service providers must have a carrier-class solution that is agile, flexible, and extensible. The SmartCell architecture provides just such a solution, and it includes access points, WLAN controllers, WLAN gateways, and value added services. With this architecture, all of the capabilities are now in place for Wi-Fi to take its place alongside 3G and LTE as one of the cornerstone RF technologies in the mobile Internet. In time, Wi-Fi will so weave itself into the fabric of the mobile experience that users won't even be aware of what radio technology they are using.
Essential capabilities of the Ruckus SmartCell architecture include:
- Reliable wireless connectivity without which nothing else really matters.
- Standards-based integration, which involves the incorporation of key industry standards around Wi-Fi cellular integration and roaming.
- An agile design that is scalable, flexible, and extensible is required to address the rapid changes in both technology and business models. This would include support for Wi-Fi enabled value added services.
Carrier-class dual-band 802.11n outdoor Access Point with support for an integrated LTE (or 3G) small cell.
The Ruckus SmartCell 8800 Series represents a completely new class of outdoor access point (AP) technology designed specifically to address the capacity and siting challenges mobile operators face in deploying HetNets in dense urban environments. It is the first high-performance dual-band 802.11n outdoor AP with integrated LTE (or 3G) small cell support. By integrating this capability into the SC 8800, the mobile operator can provide both a Wi-Fi and LTE (or 3G) underlay to offload heavily congested macro cellular networks in dense urban environments.
Provides the WLAN controller, WLAN Gateway, and value added services in a Wi-Fi Radio Access Network.
The SmartCell Gateway (SCG) 200 represents the first in a new category of scalable and versatile WLAN controllers with support for 3GPP compatible WLAN gateway functionality. It has been designed to eliminate the difficulties operators are experiencing with building and managing large-scale Wi-Fi RANs and integrating them into the mobile packet core. The latter is required for a truly scalable heterogeneous network (HetNet) deployment.
- Massively Scalable WLAN Controller
- Support for WLAN Gateway Functionality per 3GPP Standards
- Integrated Element Management System Support
- Support for Hotspot 2.0 functionality